Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cooking up some chicken

I recently ordered 40 lbs of chicken from Zaycon foods.  It arrived for pick up this Tuesday (and the line was HUGE!)  but I waited until today to deal with it. 

Inside this giant bag were 17 full chicken breasts which I cut into 34 breasts.  These breasts were huge.  My husband liked hearing me talk about each set of 2 big breasts…hehehehe.  Unfortunately these breasts had a lot of fat on them that needed to be trimmed.  But still, it only took me an hour and a half to trim, cut, and bag everything up!

I took 18 breasts and put them raw into freezer bags.  The other 16 breasts I boiled then shredded.  I recently saw information online about shredding hot cooked chicken in a kitchenaid mixer.  I tried it and was amazed at how easily and quickly it shredded my chicken.  I put about 3 breasts in at a time, turned the mixer on to a 4 or 5 for about 30 seconds and voila!  perfectly shredded chicken.  So easy!  I put my shredded chicken into freezer bags (2 cups each).

IMG_5468

I ended up with a full table of chicken for use in a myriad of recipes and amazingly enough I got them all to fit in my kitchen freezer!  23 bags of food calculates to $2.60 per meal and each meal will likely have leftovers.  I’m happy!

IMG_5467

No comments: